Friday, March 4, 2011

Blogging Fatigue

I have to admit, that this is the most difficult part about doing a course of study. It is so easy to go through the work, and leave the journaling by the wayside. So here goes, trying to pick up what I struggle with and make it a habit. A thought from this reading:

"Progress requires change, and change almost always causes resistance or conflict."

I think this follows another saying that "change is the only constant". This is not completely true, because I would say that change in a church setting is an incredibly slow process, not one meant to be undertaken swiftly or without prayerful consideration and careful planning. I think that is one thing I like about working in the youth department, because youth ministry is wild, crazy, against the grain. You are allowed to do any off the wall idea in youth because youth ministry is goofy and fun loving. Does that mean that youth ministry can be done without prayerful consideration and careful planning? Yes it does, although it would be done rather poorly.

I think the biggest issue in creating change needs to be this: the change initiator should be building open doors and bridges, not lines in the sand. A great deal of compromise is necessary for significant and effective change to take place. Also, an even greater deal of patience is mandatory.

No comments: