Saturday, February 28, 2015

Write in your journal about your own experiences at the different stages in your life when teachers either really understood or failed to understand the needs of that stage. Also, discuss the question: Can children understand concepts of doctrine?

I had a unique situation in my own life in that I often felt like I was a little above the maturity of my grade level. I can remember moving up to another Bible Study on Wednesday nights at my own request because I did not feel like the class I was in was mature enough to engage in the word. This was in middle school. With that said, I think teachers recognized where I was at, and wanted to encourage my development. 

 I believe that children can understand doctrine, if it is explained and described in a way that they can understand and comprehend. I think when it comes to doctrine, we can teach our young people in baby steps, so that when we begin to talk in depth about those types of issues, they have already experienced the concept in some type of developmentally appropriate way.