Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wesley's Four Resolutions

"1. To use absolute openness and unreserve with all I should converse with.

2. To labor after continual seriousness, not willingly indulging myself in any the least levity of behavior, or in laughter; no, not for a moment.

3. To speak no word which does not tend to the glory of God; in particular, not to talk of worldly things. Others may, nay, must. But what is that to thee? And,

4. To take no pleasure which does not tend to the glory of God; thanking God every moment for all I do take, and therefore rejecting every sort and degree of it which I feel I cannot so thank Him in and for."

I think Wesley put forth these resolutions in response to the ridiculously horrible time he had in Georgia. He sets himself up to be a very straight, to the point type of man, one who will only take joy in seeing the work of Christ done. I especially like his point that he will not engage in laughter or talk of worldly things. I would argue that a man who resolves to live this way is not a very fun guy to be around, and he is not somebody that a non-believer would want to engage in conversation with.

No comments: