Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Field Preaching

"I left London and in the evening expounded to a small company at Basingstoke, Saturday, 31. In the evening I reached Bristol and met Mr. Whitefield there. I could scarcely reconcile myself at first to this strange way of preaching in the fields, of which he set me an example on Sunday; I had been all my life (till very lately) so tenacious of every point relating to decency and order that I should have thought the saving of souls almost a sin if it had not been done in a church."

I find it interesting that we are called to go out and make disciples, yet Wesley points out that he was used to people coming to him to be made disciples. Who would have thought that what would be seen as a novel and new way of fulfilling the Great Commission would be the very way that Christ had intended it all along! In our days, I think we still suffer from this problem. We can fall prey to the assumption that the lost will come our way to our Church, and when they get there we can minister to them. The opposite is true; we are to go out and minister to them, to preach in the fields, if you will.

No comments: