Saturday, March 31, 2012

Called By Conviction

“If you ask on what principle I acted, it was this: ‘A desire to be a Christian; and a conviction that whatever I judge conducive thereto that I am bound to do; wherever I judge I can best answer this end, thither it is my duty to go.’ On this principle I set out for America; on this I visited the Moravian church; and on the same am I ready now (God being my helper) to go to Abyssinia or China, or whithersoever it shall please God, by this conviction, to call me."

It is neat to read about Wesley's willingness to follow God wherever he might choose for him to go. I actually had to Google Search where Abyssinia was; turns out it is modern day Ethiopia. I love the strength of his conviction; Wesley understood that it was not a choice for him to follow the Cross of Christ where ever it led him; he was "bound" to do what ever was conducive to his calling as a Christian, he had a "duty" to follow God's will for his life. I think a lot of times people encounter Jesus and they want to fit him in to everything else they have going on in their life. They don't feel like they it is their duty to follow Christ's way, that they are bound to his will for their life. Our desire to follow Christ should come with this type of conviction, this type of willingness to see the Kingdom of God built.

No comments: