Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A good summary of his American work

From Wesley:

"I went to America, to convert the Indians; but oh! who shall convert me? who, what is he that will deliver me from this evil heart of mischief? I have a fair summer religion. I can talk well; nay, and believe myself, while no danger is near; but let death look me in the face, and my spirit is troubled. Nor can I say, 'To die is gain!'

I think Wesley's words speak to a lot of individuals in this world. It is easy to be a fair weather Christian, to follow the teachings and principles of God when life is good and all is well. I think many fall astray when difficulties arise, but it is when life is difficult that we need to cling heavily to the Lord. Wesley left America after less than two years of ministry, and left behind a cloud of controversy and court allegations. I think its possible that Wesley needed an experience like Georgia to come to a place where he could fully engage in ministry the way God wanted him to.

No comments: