Saturday, March 31, 2012

To see versus to hear

"Several ladies following me into Mr. Merchant’s house, the servant told me there were some wanted to speak to me. I went to them and said, “I believe, ladies, the maid mistook: you wanted only to look at me.” I added, “I do not expect that the rich and great should want either to speak with me or to hear me; for I speak the plain truth—a thing you hear little of and do not desire to hear.” A few more words passed between us, and I retired."

I love the somewhat cutting words of Wesley in this encounter. Here were these ladies of pomp and circumstance, who wanted to see this John Wesley, this street preacher gaining prominence and notoriety. They were more interested in the personal association with someone of prominence, not so that they could hear what Wesley had to say, but only to add that to their list of social encounters and stories. I find Wesley's words cutting, but I think that doesn't make them any less true. Those who are wealthy, or who live in a prosperous land, often determine to make truth for themselves instead of allowing the truth of God to overflow their lives. How difficult it is for the rich to get into heaven indeed!

No comments: