Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wealth and Money in the World

I have a bit of rant dialogue for this particular post. It is in regards to football, particularly the National Football League. I have to say that I am a major football fan. But sometimes I hear stories that make me scratch my head a little bit, and wonder why I like the sport so much. For example, the Oakland Raiders, who haven't been relevant in several years, just released a receiver by the name of Javon Walker. According to Profootballtalk.com, He was signed to play in the 2008 season for six year contract worth $55 million. Between 2008 and 2009, Javon caught a whopping 15 passes, and was subsequently cut. Based on that information, and the salary he has received for the 2008 and 2009 seasons, Javon made $933,000 for each catch he made. It makes me wonder about priorities in our system.

In line with what is ethical, I think back to the way the early church viewed their income and wealth:

They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved (Acts 2:42-47).

What would our society be like if we took the example of the early church, and contributed not for our own benefits and desires, but as each one of us had needs? It is a simple design that I think has some benefits that could be reemphasized by church bodies.

No comments: