Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rockin' the Medieval Ethics

Out of the foundations that our modern ethical systems are based on, I find the most conceptual currency with the work of the Medieval ethicist, specifically Thomas Aquinas. Thomas Aquinas is one of the forefathers of ethical theories; his main argument flows from a concept of a "natural law" that exists that all humanity is supposed to follow.

I can remember learning about Aquinas in my introduction to philosophy course in my first year of college... six years ago. (A lot of people go to college for six years.... yeah, they're called Doctors). My professor was very critical of Aquinas, not because of the virtues and consequences of his etichal system, but that it was a religious-based ethical system. Philosophers, for the most part, don't believe in God. I have been told that most who go into the philosophy of religion course at Boise State University come out not believing anything at all. I was reintroduced to Aquinas and his concepts in my environmental ethics course last summer. I was pleased to find that my new professor didn't care if I believed in God, he was more concerned about an ethical theory that takes account for the environment. I argued that the Natural Law of Aquinas did in fact take into account the environment.

I think the thing that encourages me the most is that in our modern day, even with its criticisms, Aquinas is still discussed in the halls of public universities for his contributions to modern ethics. For that alone, I am pleased.

No comments: