Sunday, April 11, 2010

Where is the heart at?

I found this passage of scripture from the 17th chapter of Jeremiah in part because one of the verses was from a devotional I started reading. I think it is a very powerful message:

9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

10 "I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
according to what his deeds deserve."

I think what I like about this passage is that it is an intimate conversation, just Jeremiah and God. Jeremiah asks God about the deception of the heart, how easily it sways the mind of the individual. God respond in that he searches the heart, and focuses not on the whims of the heart swaying to and fro, but instead on what pours out of the heart and mind: the actions that an individual takes. To be rewarded not because we think highly of ourselves, or because we take a shower every day, or don't eat our own dandruff is irrelevant; God, in all his might and power, rewards us according to what are deeds deserve. May I live in such a way that merits the great reward of blessing from God our father!


No comments: