Monday, February 1, 2010

Ethical Reflection: Round 5

This is my final passage that I have selected for Ethical Reflection. It is old testament, It comes from the 8th Chapter of the Solomon's Song of Songs:

6 Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.

7 Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture. It speaks of another aspect of living an ethically moral life; the aspect of how one treats his/her spouse. I find that this is a powerful example of the way that God has designed love to be in the context of a marriage. It burns like a blazing fire, and rivers cannot put it out. I know that Solomon knows about rivers, I'm sure he was familiar with the big rivers like the Euphrates, the Nile, even the Jordan River. All of these were powerful rivers, but rivers could not wash away the passionate fire that is love. I hope and pray that for each person who reads this, they have or will some day experience the passionate love that God designed to exist between a man and a woman.

No comments: