Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ethical Reflection: Round 4

I thought I would kick it old school with this ethical reflection, from Deuteronomy 10:

14 To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. 15 Yet the LORD set his affection on your forefathers and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations, as it is today. 16 Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer. 17 For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.

I like this passage because it speaks of the internal versus the external. The Israelites were "world-famous" for showing their physical connection to God, yet internally they refused to have an intimate relationship with him. Their bodies were physically circumcised as a representation of their election as God's people, yet their hearts were far from him. I think the ethical reflection here is that as a Christian it is important for both the internal and external self be in line with what God has in mind for me. If I am in God's will, if I am loving God and others, then my heart truly can be circumcised.


No comments: