Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ethical Reflection - Round 3

So here is my third passage that I think reveals ethical reflection. It is found in the 5th Chapter of Hebrews (NIV):

11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

I have to admit that this is one of my favorite passages. I use this frequently when talking to my small group... we even had a milk jug that referenced this passage. Another story for a different day. But I feel that this is a good passage to portray moral, ethical reflection. It is the idea that learning & growing are key to distinguishing between what is good a bad moral conduct. It is the constant use and training that allows one to distinguish between right and wrong, not some inherent ability. This illustrates that sometimes moral actions must be learned; for example, I may never realize a stove is hot until I touch it, or until I learn that when something is hot you should not touch it. Learning about a stove helps me distinguish that it is a bad idea to touch it when it is hot. In this case, I don't have to learn by my mistake, I have been acquainted with the teaching of heat and stoves. In the same way I can become acquainted with the teachings of morality and righteousness. Through learning, I can distinguish between good and evil, and not have to worry about falling into a sinful mistake and learning the hard way.

No comments: