Friday, February 17, 2012

Struggles at Sea

Monday, 26.—My brother and I set out for Charleston, in order to his embarking for England; but the wind being contrary, we did not reach Port Royal, forty miles from Savannah, till Wednesday evening. The next morning we left it. But the wind was so high in the afternoon, as we were crossing the neck of St. Helena’s sound, that our oldest sailor cried out, “Now everyone must take care of himself.” I told him, “God will take care for us all.” Almost as soon as the words were spoken, the mast fell. I kept on the edge of the boat, to be clear of her when she sank (which we expected every moment), though with little prospect of swimming ashore against such a wind and sea. But “How is it that thou hadst no faith?” The moment the mast fell, two men caught it and pulled it into the boat; the other three rowed with all their might, and “God gave command to the wind and seas”; so that in an hour we were safe on land.

I love the depiction of being saved at sea, and the parallels that Wesley places with the story of Jesus calming the storm. I love the Wesley was able to experience for himself and event similar to one of the most powerful moments in the ministry of Jesus Christ. I love his fearful response; Wesley has read the story of the storm, has seen how the disciples responded, knows what Jesus did, yet still falls under the block of "How is it that thou hadst no faith?" I think oftentimes when in the perils of nature, we are quick to forget the one that created and can control the very nature we are afraid of.

No comments: