Monday, February 20, 2012

Conflict Amongst the Parishioners

"Sunday, July 3.—Immediately after the holy communion, I mentioned to Mrs. Williamson (Mr. Causton’s niece) some things which I thought reprovable in her behavior. At this she appeared extremely angry; said she did not expect such usage from me; and at the turn of the street, through which we were walking home, went abruptly away. The next day Mrs. Causton endeavored to excuse her; told me she was exceedingly grieved for what had passed the day before and desired me to tell her in writing what I disliked; which I accordingly did the day following."

I picked this passage because Wesley's account gives me the impression that he was incredibly out of touch with his people skills. To translate, Wesley basically comes out right after church and says, "Oh by the way, you need to quit acting like a heathen with your sinful ways." Not exactly people friendly. No wonder she went abruptly away. I take it at this point in his ministry, he had the "speak the truth" part down pat, but was not yet too keen on speaking that truth in love. A little tact and planning goes a long way when you are trying to confront someone.

No comments: