Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Split between East and West

One of the major readings in my Christian History Class is in regard to the split between the two branches of Christianity that make up what is now today the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church. One of the main things that I find interesting is that something simple as language differences contributed to the separation of the church. In the West, the churches used Latin, while in the East, the churches used Greek. This difference may appear somewhat trivial, but from language culture develops, and from culture, rituals and differences in understanding develop. Ultimately, it would be a political event that would separate the two churches, yet something that appears as minor, like language, contributed in a big way. It brings me back to the power of our words, and the way we use them to communicate with people. Differences in language produce differences in understanding; I have to admit, I am one of the many people who is guilty of trying to convince someone who doesn't understand the English language that if I speak slowly and loudly to them, they will know exactly what I mean. I am also one who is very guilty of saying something to my spouse in plain English, and not meaning it the way it comes out (Again, I apologize for all of those things I said, for there are many). It brings back the point that it is important to use our words wisely, not in a way that cuts people down, but in a way that builds them up.

No comments: