Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Eastern & Western Churches

I have to admit, I am in that middle of the course point where I am struggling to maintain and keep up with the pace. Today being Saturday, I just finished my last assignment... that was due on Sunday, five days ago. Now I can begin on the work that is due on Sunday at Midnight, which conveniently happens to be tomorrow. Did I also mention that I am leaving Sunday afternoon to go to Senior High Summer Camp? I certainly have my work cut out for me if I am going to make this upcoming deadline. It is so easy to get off track in these course, and I am beginning to learn that it still applies in my life overall. It is so easy to get busy with everything else going on in life, that one can quickly lose focus of what is important, and what needs to be taken care of. It is my prayer as I reach the midway point of this course that the good Lord will grant me with the discernment and the strength to better prioritize my time to further execute my responsibilities for this class. With his help, I know I can do it!

Now I can tell you about what I have been studying, specifically, the differences between the Western Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox church, Neither of which can hold snuff to the sweet glory of Nazarene Protestantism :) . All kidding and ribbing aside, it is very interesting to me that the things that really make the Catholic and Orthodox churches different aren't bad. The Catholic church has a set structure and hierarchy, while the Orthodox church is more of a confederation of 16 different churches, some of which are National Churches, while others are part of a Nation. In spite of their differences, they still hold to the truth that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came to this earth to save humanity of its sins. These Churches, like Protestantism, have not lost sight of the good news of Jesus Christ, and his ability to grant eternal life to all who choose to believe in him. So I refer back to the poetic wisdom of the Orange County Supertones, that we can sing with one voice, and that we can agree to disagree on certain things, because we all love the same God. Now this goes without saying that their are certain things that are not negotiable, but their are other things that are more flexible. Let us, as the universal Church of Jesus Christ, strive to do what Jesus came to do, Namely, to seek and to save that which was lost.

No comments: