Thursday, October 22, 2009

Journal for Ministry

So I must say it has been a while. Once full time school kicked off last year, it seemed like the time for blogging was long gone. Although I have found a rebirth, one that I should have realized a long time ago. As part of my Course of Study for Ministerial Development, I am required to journal on a regular basis about the things I am learning, insights I have gained, and challenges I have endured. Sometimes these writings are on prompts, sometimes they are out of my reading or daily devotion. I will share my journal insights with you (you being anyone who takes the time to read this blog) on a (hopefully) daily, regular basis. The first is a reflection on a prayer:

"Thank you, Lord, for changing your mind! Because, if you didn?t, we wouldn?t have a prayer!"

This is in reference to one of the many encounters between God and Moses. God had finally had enough of the nation of Israel and them following their own ways. God told Moses, "That's it, I've had it, and I am going to destroy these people, and start my people from you." Moses pleaded the case of the Israelites "God, don't forget the promise you made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." So God decided not to destroy Israel because Moses interceded on their behalf. I feel the same way about my life today. God has every right to blot my sinful life out of existence. I am a sinner through and through. But it is through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that the justice of God was fulfilled, and mercy was extended to my life. Now Jesus sits on the right hand side of God, interceding on my behalf, & his Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, the Advocate, intercedes on my behalf as well, giving me the opportunity (if I choose) to be righteous and declared clean before God. I love the truth in this prayer, that God was willing to relent his just punishment on all of humanity by sending his son. I am so thankful for that, and now I do have a prayer indeed.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yay! You are back!

Good devotional Jayson! Just this morning I heard a song and the first line said "You became sin so I could become righteous." That thought just doesn't even make sense - but praise God - it is true - because He is our only hope.