Thursday, February 28, 2013

The interpretation of issues such as righteousness, holiness, sanctification, and perfection are non-negotiable in maintaining our theological integrity. They are at the very heart of the “analogy of faith,” the primary lens by which Wesleyans interpret Scripture. I like this quote, because I think it points to the fidelity that Wesley had towards the scriptures. Above all else, Wesley maintained his integrity to the word of God: Love God, Love Others, Be Perfect as your father is Perfect. Through this lens, it is easy to see why Wesley thought the idea of Christian Perfection was attainable. If I love God with all that I am, and if my love for him also extends to the people I encounter, then I have no reason to believe that would flow. The issue arises when I allow myself to get in the way, when I start to consider my own interests above God's or other people I am supposed to be showing love to.

No comments: