Monday, October 17, 2011

Motivator #9

“What, if I were to see a Papist, an Arian, a Socinian casting out devils? If I did, I could not forbid even him, without convicting myself of bigotry. Yea, if it could be supposed that I should see a Jew, a Deist, or a Turk, doing the same, were I to forbid him either directly or indirectly, I should be no better than a bigot still.

“O stand clear of this! But be not content with not forbidding any that casts out devils. It is well to go thus far; but do not stop here. If you will avoid all bigotry, go on. In every instance of this kind, whatever the instrument be, acknowledge the finger of God. And not only acknowledge, but rejoice in his work, and praise his name with thanksgiving. Encourage whomsoever God is pleased to employ, to give himself wholly up thereto. Speak well of him wheresoever you are; defend his character and his mission. Enlarge, as far as you can, his sphere of action; show him all kindness in word and deed; and cease not to cry to God in his behalf, that he may save both himself and them that hear him.” (Wesley, “Against Bigotry,” Sermon 38, IV, 4-5.)

I think this is a problem that a lot of people can run into. An individual may see the way a particular person is communicating the Gospel of Christ, decide that they are not doing it in the "correct" or "appropriate" kind of way, and we respond in an act to shut down what they are doing. I think often times God uses a variety of people to reach a variety of people in a variety of ways that make no sense to most. God has uniquely gifted individuals to reach particular individuals; we hinder the message of God when we try to stop its proclamation just because it is not in our particular style or taste.