Thursday, June 2, 2011

Refelecting on Saint Francis Xavier

Prayer by Saint Francis Xavier

Eternal God, Creator of all things, remember that You alone has created the souls of unbelievers, which You have made according to Your Image and Likeness. Behold, O Lord, how to Your dishonor many of them are falling into Hell. Remember, O Lord, Your Son Jesus Christ, Who so generously shed His Blood and suffered for them. Do not permit that Your Son, Our Lord, remain unknown by unbelievers, but, with the help of Your Saints and the Church, the Bride of Your Son, remember Your mercy, forget their idolatry and infidelity, and make them know Him, Who You have sent, Jesus Christ, Your Son, Our Lord, Who is our salvation, our life, and our resurrection, through Whom we have been saved and redeemed, and to Whom is due glory forever. Amen.
Xavier’s Poem of Love (1552)

My God, I love thee: not because I hope for heaven thereby, nor because they who love thee not must burn eternally.

Thou, O my Jesus, Thou didst me upon the Cross embrace; for me didst bear the nails and spear, and manifold disgrace.

And grief and torments numberless, and sweat of agony; yea, death itself; and all for me who was thine enemy.

Then why, O Blessed Jesus Christ, should I not love thee well? Not for the hope of winning heaven, nor of escaping hell;

Not with the hope of gaining aught, not seeking a reward; but as thyself hast loved me, o ever-loving Lord!

Even so I love thee and will love, and in thy praise will sing, solely because thou art my God, and my eternal King.

I love this prayer and poem because it gives the proper reasoning for loving God. It is not for the sake of gaining the retainer on a hell insurance policy, nor is it for gaining prominence or reward; it is because God loved us so much that he sent his son to die on a cross so we could have a reconciled relationship with him. It was not because of who were are, or some sort of special connection we have, but because the creator desires to be reconciled to his creation in humanity. Amazing love, that thou my God would die for me indeed!

No comments: