Sunday, June 12, 2011

Focus on one of the hymns that was sung at the beginning of this lesson. What response did the hymn invoke in you?

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill:
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master’s will!

Arm me with jealous care,
As in Thy sight to live;
And O Thy servant, Lord, prepare
A strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall for ever die.

I think the thing that resonates with me in this song is the high standard that the follower of Christ is held to. I have a charge to follow the will of Christ in my life, I have to be ready and willing to defend and account the Gospel Message at all times. I have to be willing to do the work of the Lord, not by my own strength, but on the shoulders of his strength. I have to be willing to run the race set out for me. It is a high call, a high standard, and a high charge to keep indeed.

No comments: