Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Digging back into history

It is time to welcome back all of my followers (and when I say followers, I mean my wife and my mother in law) to another round of course of study. This time we are going back into history of Christianity, from the Reformation Period through modern times. I want to take this first post to go through my expectations:

1) I want to learn more about the underlying causes of the Reformation. It is not as cut and dry as "people didn't agree with the Catholic Church, so they left". I want to further understand what caused the tension that brought about Catholics and Protestants, and how such a deep divide could occur.

2) I want to learn more about Calvin. His theology has a huge influence in the modern world, and I want to know why it is different from my own.

3) I want to learn more about Wesley. He is considered a theological patriarch of our denomination, and I want to know more about him and his ministry.

4) I want God to reveal to me through the history of his church my role in creating history. Like every other part of the body, I have a role to play, and I am hoping a survey of church history may reveal more of what God has for me now and in the future.

Blessings as you join me on this journey.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Welcome back! I've missed you!