Monday, July 5, 2010

Rule of Life: Rule Number 2

Here is the second addition to my rule of life. Let me briefly remind you that my rule of life is built around the concept of fidelity; the first rule being fidelity to God. The second rule is as follows:

Fidelity to Family

Scripture Reference: 1 Timothy 5:7-9: Give the people these instructions, too, so that no one may be open to blame. If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

This element is listed second because the family is a fundamental building block of societal living. It is through the family that traditions and values are passed down. It is through the family that priorities are established, and people gain an appreciation and understanding for what is important in life. The family is an essential aspect to the growth and development of individuals; there is not a structure in our modern society that has a greater influence than the family. It is important that an individual have Fidelity to his or her family, being sure to take care of the needs of his/her family members. As the passage describes, one who neglects his family is in a precarious position. Beyond one’s relationship with God, nothing in this world can take a greater precedence than one’s commitment to his or her family.


I find that I have a difficult time with this particular rule. It is often so easy to place other things, good things, in front of my commitment to my family. Many times have I been guilty of scheduling some appointment or event without the consultation of my family, and each time they are the ones that have to pay for my lack of consideration. It is with great hope that I can look to the good Lord, and to my family, that they may help me keep on track in maintaining fidelity to them, because the family truly is a crucial building block to maintaining Fidelity and I would go so far as to say maintaining inner peace and overall health in an individual's life.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You don't give yourself enough credit for how good you are to your family. We love you and appreciate the sacrifices you make for us!