Monday, May 24, 2010

Remembering a Furry Friend

This blog is supposed to be geared towards my reflections in studying Christian History. In light of the events that have transpired over the weekend, I feel justified in a different task for today. Let me flash back to about two years ago, when our wonderful cat, Ezlo, went missing for a couple of days. He came back to us, almost in one piece, yet his back leg was both broken and dislocated. This was due to some bites from what the vet described as a medium sized dog. So we casted the foot, and left him with a bit of a gimp from the dislocation. We were given orders that he needed to be an indoor cat from now on. Unfortunately, Ezlo would hear none of this, and we were constantly trying to keep him from going outside.

Forward back to our current time. Ezlo had adjusted well for having a dislocated leg; he could still climb over our six foot fence, and he loved to be outside. The other day a similar scenario played out, he went missing for a day or two, and came back hobbling, yet another victim to an attack. This left he lying on my bed for three days. I would put him outside so he could go to the bathroom, but a cat that can't squat because of a dislocated leg is not a very happy cat. He also had lost a lot of weight. It was difficult to see, because he was so fluffy, but once you got past the fur it was obvious that things were looking grim.

Sadly, we had to put down our furry friend Ezlo. I cannot question that it was the right thing to do; he was not doing well, and his outlook was bleak. He couldn't stand with being cooped up in a house, and I'm sure his latest condition would have limited him even more.

I will cherish the joy that Ezlo has brought me and my family. My beautiful daughter Ava loved her "keekee" very much, and truth be known, Ezlo was Andrea's little boy. I am thankful for the past five years I have had to spend with that little furry friend.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I am sad for you.