Saturday, November 22, 2014

The noted Roman Catholic monk and spiritual writer Thomas Merton was standing on a street corner in a busy Kentucky city in the 1960s. Suddenly he was overcome by the awareness that he was deeply in love with all of humanity. Has that ever happened to you? Do you expect it to?

I don't know that I have ever had a realization such as this. I'm not sure that it will; my personality tends to lean more towards the pragmatic and practical. I am more about spread sheets, results, things that I can measure and test. I think I won't be overcome by this awareness like Merton, but I do believe there is something to be said for sharing the great love for all people that God, the creator, shares with his creation. We are called to go out, to change the hearts and lives of the people that we encounter and come into contact with. 

No comments: