Friday, November 30, 2012

Reflect on your life in relation to the biblical concepts of perfection and greatness. I think the most prominent Biblical example of perfection comes from The mouth of Christ: "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48 NIV84)." That would appear to be a tall order! How is it possible as a human to gain perfection? I think think of the words of Paul when it comes to seeking perfection: "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you (Philippians 3:13-15)." Perfection walks hand in hand with maturity; those who seek to make God the number one priority in their life are able to press on towards greatness. Those who are immature, who are not able to readily distinguish right from wrong, good from evil, struggle. I think the goal is not so much that we attain perfection, because I don't think that is humanly possible in this life; instead, I think the goal is that we seek to live our lives in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ. We live in such a way that we are no longer dragged into the ways of the world, but we are compelled to live outside the influence of our cultural norms and worldly values. A life of perfection seek Christ first and foremost, and everything else is subsidiary to this goal.

No comments: